Recipe submitted by GetSetUp Athlete Ellen Jaffe Jones.
⅔ cup plus ¼ cup water
⅓ cup brown rice
1 ¾ cup cooked or canned beans, drained and rinsed
2 teaspoons dried onion flakes, plus more for garnish
1 teaspoon cumin
pinch crushed red pepper flakes(optional)
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 garlic clove, minced
½ cup chopped broccoli
½ cup collard greens
1 teaspoon low-sodium soy sauce
1 teaspoon fresh or dried parsley, plus more for garnish
1. Put ⅔ cup of water in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat.
2. Add the rice and return to a boil.
3. Decrease the heat to low, cover, and cook for 45 minutes, or until the rice is tender and the water is absorbed.
4. Set aside. Fluff with a fork before serving
5. Combine the beans, onion flakes, cumin, and optional red pepper flake in a small saucepan over low heat.
6. Cook, stirring frequently until warmed through.
7. Heat the oil in a wok or large skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook and stir for 1 minute.
8. Stir in the broccoli and the remaining ¼ cup of water. Cover and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the broccoli is bright green.
9. Add the collard greens and cook, stirring frequently, for 3 to 5 minutes, or until the greens are wilted and tender.
10. Stir in the soy sauce and parsley and remove from the heat.
11. To serve, spoon portions of the rice onto two plates.
12. Top the rice with beans and greens. Sprinkle with additional onion flakes and parsley.